Chains Interrupted is a nonprofit fighting for the freedom from trafficking in Eastern Iowa, the U.S., and the world.
Chains Interrupted is a driving force that empowers communities and contends for the freedom of youth from human trafficking through Awareness, Prevention, and Advocacy.
In response to a growing problem and a community needs assessment, we now focus on youth through our three pillars:
*We raise awareness of all forms of human trafficking through our current 13 (and growing!) educational programs, print material, booths, parades and many other events.
*Chains Interrupted is increasing efforts in prevention through strengthening our School, High-Risk Youth, and Survivor Guidance Programs, as well as enhancing partnerships with community youth mentorship programs.
*Our advocacy team provides support to youth survivors of human trafficking, and is implementing a new program to equip organizations working with youth to identify and assist those who have experienced this specific form of victimization. We operate the “Harbor Home”, providing restoration care for those 18-24 years of age and support referring agencies to assist those outside this age range. We also strive to fill in the gaps as we can for partner organizations as we all work together to end this heinous crime!
What began as a small committee of concerned people grew over time to what it is today: a thriving, vibrant non-profit making a significant impact in our city, state, nation and world.
In 2015, the wonderful committee known as “Sisters and Brothers Collaborating Against Human Trafficking” merged with an amazing 501(c)3 organization called “Cedar Rapids Gives”.
At the beginning of 2016, many changes took place in the fight against human trafficking within the state of Iowa. Cedar Rapids Gives dissolved and “Chains Interrupted” was born (incorporated in August, 2016), receiving 501(c)3 status in February 2018.
Our Educational Programs
Human trafficking is the fastest growing organized criminal industry in the world. We need our whole community to join in the fight against this growing and evil crime.
Chains Interrupted focuses on prevention and has specific programs to educate organizations and the community at large, including:
- Awareness/Action Project (education for the general public: individuals, organizations, businesses, & churches)
- Hotel and Motel Project (education for Hotel/Motel staff)
- School Project (education for staff, students & parents)
- Medical Project (in partnership with Mercy Medical Center)
- Law Enforcement/Corrections (education for law enforcement & correctional staff)
- Financial Industry (education for staff)
- Faith Community (what church members can watch for & do)
- Church Safety Teams (education for church leaders & members of church safety teams)
- Mental Health Personnel (education for mental health workers)
- Technology (education regarding grooming on tech devices and prevention tools)
- Trauma-Informed Care (how experiencing deep trauma affects the brain, & how to care for those affected)
- General businesses (education for businesses in which customers enter, as well as for businesses whose employees go into the community)
- Beauty from Ashes Program (Survivors only)
Request a Speaker
Want to have a speaker or survivor speak to your organization about human trafficking? Request a speaker to visit your organization and learn more about this dark industry and how to help stop it.
The UnChainEd Coalition (United Coalition for Human Trafficking Awareness, Information, Networking and Education) meets quarterly on the 4th Tuesday in the months of January, April, July, and October from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM. You are welcome to attend! Please email Info@ChainsInterrupted.com for more information or to register.
Support Our Mission
If you’d like to help support Chains Interrupted and our effort to stop human trafficking, contact us today to provide financial support or by volunteering Info@ChainsInterrupted.com.
We operate with a low overhead are extremely fiscally responsible. The vast majority of our funding comes from private donations, and we take that very seriously! Your support positively impacts the programs, education, and opportunities we offer organizations and survivors in our community and beyond.
Want to learn more about human trafficking and how you can help stop it? Visit our learning hub to download brochures, infographics, and more. You can also learn about the signs of human trafficking, and the facts and figures of this crime plaguing our nation and the world.
Get Help Now
If you need help, contact us today. We’re here to help connect you to people who can take care of you.